The Buttercup

 On a recent journey I discovered this beautiful golden Buttercup. It was so tiny, approximately the size of an average human thumb nail but because of the bright colour against the background of the Green grass it shone in the sun and caught my eye and I couldn't help but stop to view this tiny small flower and while I did I was immediately taken back to childhood when we as children used to pick them and hold the flower head just under the chin of a friend of ours to find out if they liked 'Butter' Yes! 'Butter' - if it shone bright then that child liked butter if not then they did not!


I do not know how far back in time the game first began but we learned it through our mother's who learned it through theirs, I say with a smile!! The memory was a warm and loving memory of mothers and children, children and friends... and just childhood playing with simple but time consuming joyful play. Once we had picked as many as we could we would then sit and make a buttercup chain (similar to a daisy chain) of which was placed and worn around our heads, neck or wrist and the joys of spring would be fun loving and carefree... just children being children!!


Then came the second thought of this tiny small beautiful flower... if I was to bend down and pick it from the ground it would last just a few hours if that! so instead I decided to take my camera out and get as close as I could to see if I could capture this tiny beautiful golden Buttercup and keep it with me forever or at least a lot longer than if I picked it!!


I was really happy with the shot I managed to get and was even happier to know that this little life growing in the ground gave me a happy memory of my childhood that I was able to remember on my journey and that I had left it where it was to grow but I also carried it with me in the form of my very own photo that I could view whenever I wanted to.


Happy Simplicity :)

Comments